You’ve probably heard the term “TMJ” or even “TMD” before, but do you know what they mean and how important they are? Your temporomandibular joint (TMJ) acts like a hinge, connecting your jaw to your skull. When it’s moved out of alignment or if it becomes diseased, that’s when temporomandibular disorder (TMD) can set in, causing uncomfortable symptoms such as:
- Facial pain or swelling
- Powerful migraines or headaches
- Grinding or clenching your teeth
- Clicking or popping in your jaw
The bad news is that these symptoms are often seen as a sign of some other illness, leaving TMD to go widely undiagnosed. This is why the team at Crownsville Dental & Wellness Solutions is deeply dedicated to understanding and treating these issues so our patients can finally experience relief.
TMD Treatment Solutions Customized Just For You
If you suffer from TMJ dysfunction, you don’t have to live in pain anymore. Schedule a no-obligation, comprehensive consultation and exam so, together, we can take some time to evaluate your situation. From there, we can quickly create an individualized plan for therapy to relieve your symptoms and stop any damage to your joint.
Your TMJ treatment plan may include:
- Injectables Therapy – We may recommend injectables or dermal fillers as a treatment for TMJ, as it relieves muscular pain associated with clenching and grinding. Often, injectables eliminate stress and tension in the jaw by relaxing the muscles and lessening their ability to perform the chronic, unconscious movement associated with bruxism (teeth grinding) and TMJ.
- Sleep Appliance Therapy – Occasionally, we seek to repair TMJ damage with the same treatment we use for sleep apnea. Our sleep appliances, such as Somnolent and other mandibular repositioners, comfortably find the correct position for your jaw, alleviating the stress on your temporomandibular joint. Repositioning appliances focus on treating the TMJ, and not just alleviating the symptoms, as they permanently alter the joint.
- Occlusal Splint Therapy – Occlusal splints are custom-made for you, accounting for the shape of your mouth, so they fit comfortably. They are removable and often crafted from hard acrylic, but are non-invasive, removable, and functional. They stabilize the jaw into the perfect occlusion while you sleep, intercepting any irregular muscle activity.
If you or someone in your family struggles with TMJ pain or TMD, it’s time to talk to the team at Crownsville Dental & Wellness Solutions about finally finding a treatment that works.